Call for a Free Consultation


Click to Call | 732-333-8141

Scale Columns

$500+ Million Recovered

For Our Clients

Call Us Today

How Long After a Car Accident Can You File a Claim?

How Long After a Car Accident Can You File a Claim?

You rely on your insurance to cover your damages after a car accident. However, many people don’t realize that there are strict timelines in place regarding how long you have to file a claim for compensation. While you may be busy dealing with injuries or lost wages following a New Jersey car accident, it’s important to understand car insurance deadlines. Failing to meet them may mean that your insurance company won’t cover your damages.

How Long Do You Have to File a Car Insurance Claim in New Jersey?

There isn’t a set timeline on how long you have to file a car insurance claim after being in an accident. Timelines depend on your insurance provider, so it’s best to check your policy soon after the accident. Most auto insurance companies do require that you file a claim promptly after the car accident. Failing to do so may mean that they can’t properly investigate the claim. This could lead to them denying your claim. Even if they do approve it, they may offer you less than what your damages are worth.

Because New Jersey is a no-fault state, you’ll always file your accident claim with your personal insurance company. New Jersey doesn’t factor in liability for car accidents. Instead, your auto insurance company will cover your damages, even if you’re not at fault. Filing a car insurance claim today is typically easy. Most insurance companies allow you to begin your claim online. Then, they may call you to schedule an adjuster who will come out to evaluate the damages.

How Long Do You Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in New Jersey?

You have just two years from the date of an accident to file a claim. It’s important to note that filing a personal injury claim isn’t the same as filing a car insurance claim. Filing a car insurance claim requests that your auto insurance cover your damages based on your policy. Filing a personal injury claim seeks damages from the responsible party.

There are a few reasons why you may file a personal injury claim. If your car insurance company denies your claim, you may instead seek damages from the responsible party. It’s also possible that your insurance company will cover your claim, but it may not be enough to cover all your damages, such as expensive medical bills or lost wages you incurred as a result of the accident. In this case, you may seek the extra funds from the other driver who caused the accident.

Why Should You Work With a Personal Injury Lawyer?

There are a few reasons why it may benefit you to work with a Hazlet personal injury lawyer for your car accident or personal injury claim. Dealing with the consequences of a car accident can be overwhelming, and a lawyer can handle many of the tasks for you, even if it’s something as simple as speaking to the insurance company. A personal injury lawyer may also be useful if the insurance company attempts to wrongly deny your claim or offer you less than what your damages include.

If you decide to file a personal injury claim, talking with a Red Bank personal injury lawyer should be one of the first things you do. Similar to filing a car insurance claim, you also have limited time to file a personal injury claim. Working with a lawyer also shows the other driver’s insurance company that you have someone working and fighting for your legal rights.

Contact a Hazlet Personal Injury Lawyer Near You to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Were you or a loved one injured as a result of a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Drazin and Warshaw, P.C. represent clients injured in car accidents in Westfield, Summit, Scotch Plains, Brick, Aberdeen, Asbury Park, and throughout Monmouth County, Ocean County, Union County, and Middlesex County, NJ. Call (732) 576-8860 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 3315 Route 35, Hazlet, NJ 07730 as well as offices in Red Bank, Brick, and Westfield.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.

schedule a free consultation today

5 stars

“The attention and service from Drazin & Warshaw was phenomenal from day one. They are truly passionate about their work and the client”.

- Greg A.

more client reviews

Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances


New Jersey

super lawyers

Award Background


certified civil

trial attorneys

Award Background


years of

winning cases

Award Background


njaj past


Award Background
More About Us